Evolution of Technology (TEC 154 2014S) : Outlines
Outline 28: Biotechnology (Discussion)
Held: Monday, 7 April 2014
Back to Outline 27 - Intellectual Property (1).
On to Outline 29 - Hypertext and the Web.
We apply some of our perspectives to what we learned about biotechnology
and genetic engineering.
- Risks: Dread vs. Knowledge.
- Other issues.
- Note takers: tbd
- News on classmates.
- Apologies for being behind in grading. College paperwork and the CSC 207
exam took my whole weekend. I had expected to complete the CSC 207 exam
on Saturday, but I didn't finish grading until 11 pm on Sunday.
Isn't it nice to know that faculty can be as overworked as students?)
- I've rearranged the schedule a bit to accommodate some faculty requests.
- Wednesday's reading: V. Bush, "As We May Think"
- Friday's reading: Read "The Prize is right" and "Big Prize" in the ebook.
- Fun things, no extra credit
- Rachel Rose '01 did some of the special effects technology for Noah.
- Previews suggest that there's yet another movie with the same concerns
as Bill Joy this summer.
- "Pioneer Weekend is a three day event, sponsored by the Wilson
Program and Grinnell AppDev, that is being organized to take place
this month from April 18th - 20th. The objective of this event is
to bring together student innovators from different backgrounds, to
work together in teams of 3-6 people and complete a prototype of
an idea that they come up with at the event."
- CS extra Thursday at 4:30 here: Software to enhance wellness: The
- I'm happy to take any general questions about the examination.
The Paper and Presentation and ...
- We'll go over the handout.
- We'll make sure that everyone has a group.
Dread and Knowledge
We'll start with the "Dread vs. Knowledge" chart.
low DREAD high
| | | high
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
- Pick about four technologies that Prof. Robertson discussed.
- Pick a few different audiences (e.g., members of your group,
American citizens, Eurpoean politicians, Monsanto employees, ...)
- Plot the technology/group on the chart.
- We'll discuss a bit of your placement.
Applying the Lenses
We'll use the obvious ones.
- Are there any of these technologies that Berry would like?
- Would Joy classify any of these genetically engineered objects in his
uncontrollable technologies warning?
- What would Florman see as the heroic failures?
- Would Marx consider these technologies democratic?
- What political structures would Winner think this support?