Class 4: Deploying Rails applications
Held: Monday, 30 January 2017
- A brief introduction to regular expressions
- Wrap up Hartl 1
- Start Hartl 2
News / Etc.
- Reflections should generally be submitted by 9pm on Sunday night so that I can read them before class.
- In general, I’ll have you start on the Hartl on your own and we’ll work on finishing it up during class.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help! (From me, from your classmates, from Adam, from the Interweb.)
Good things to do
Nope, no extra credit.
- CS table, Tuesday: Planning for the semester.
- Women-in-CS, Tuesday, 7pm: Discussion of Hidden Figures.
- Teach-in on executive order, Wednesday at 7pm.
- CS extras, Thursday: LaTeX.
- Invented as a way to describe strings.
- Popular for all sorts of applications.
- Way too many variants of the syntax (and capabilities)
- Basic concepts:
- Exact matches
- Special symbols
- Kleene *
- We will generally play with things using
Setting up your first Rails apps
- You will finish up Hartl chapter 1 and start Hartl chapter 2.
- As a good CS student, you should go beyond the particular instructions at times and try variants. How do names come into play?