CSC 207.01 2019S, Class 10: Inheritance
- Notes and news
- Upcoming work
- Extra credit
- Friday PSA
News / Etc.
- Quick survey: How long did HW3 take you?
- 4-6 (0), 7-9 (5), 10-12 (6), 13+ (0)
- I apologize for a too-long HW.
- Note I’m switching back to an Osera/Vostinar HW for HW4.
- Quick survey: Would you be willing to be partnered with someone
from the other section?
- We’ll debrief from today’s lab on Monday.
- We may try to end class a few minutes early to give time for a guest
speaker for 151 to get set up.
- Assignment 4 due Thursday night.
- Partners distributed via email.
- No reading for Monday!
- Lab writeup: Exercise 7a
- Subject: CSC 207.01 Writeup for Class 10 (Your names)
- Please put your code in the body of the message.
- Quiz Monday: Polymorphism
- Any Data Week activity this week. (There’s a lunchtime talk and a
- HackGC weekend of 15-17 February 2019.
- CS Extras, Thursday, 4:15 p.m. Science 3821: Sam on CSC 321/22.
(Snacks at 4pm in the CS Commons.)
- Conference Swim and Dive meet, 16-17 February 2019. Watch your classmate
- HIIT training, 4:30 pm, Tuesday, Dance Studio, Bear. (Cap of two EC units.)
- HIIT training, 10:00 am, Saturday, Dance Studio, Bear (Same Cap.)
- Hatha Yoga, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, Dance Studo, Bear. (Cap of two EC units.)
- Any sex week activity this week. (If you are not comfortable writing
to me about the particulars, feel free to submit a generic EC report.)
- Lunar New Year Celebration, February 17, 6pm, Harris Gym
Other good things
- You are awesome. Continue to be so to yourselves and to others.
No GitHub repo! Yay!
- Sam screwed up on the design of the experiment. Sorry about that.
It’s fixed now.
- Subclasses can access the
protected, and (sometimes) package
fields of their superclasses, but not the
- Important discoveries by one group
- If you get rid of the call to
super(start) altogther, Java
won’t compile the code.
- However, if you add a zero-parameter constructor to the superclass,
Java implicitly calls that if you don’t write
- If you don’t create any constructors in a class, Java creates a
- If you explicitly create any constructors in a class, Java does
not add a zero-param constructor to that class.
- Java makes sure that methods exist at compile time, but determines
which implementation to use at run time. (Sam will draw a diagram